Sunday, December 24, 2006

What is the value of a life?
Olivia didn’t deserve to be born
To unwed parents.
She didn’t deserve to be orphaned
As a helpless infant.
She didn’t deserve to live
Her first two and a half years of life
In an orphanage.
She didn’t deserve to be taken away
From the only home and family
She had ever known by strangers
From a foreign land.
What does she deserve?

I have been asking God to help me love Olivia as much as I love Jake. Tonight I realized I was asking for the wrong thing. A mother’s love can fail. She has already been failed by one mother and she doesn’t deserve to be failed by another. I knew what God wanted me to pray. The Holy Spirit impressed upon me not to ask God to help me love her as a mother loves her, but as HE loves her. God’s love never fails.

What is the value of her life?

To God, her life is worth His own. He gave His own beloved son’s life for hers. Olivia was not the property of an orphanage or province nor is she our property. Olivia was never an orphan. She is now and always has been - a princess of the King. She deserves everything God has promised her as such.

In Jeremiah 29:11 God promises, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

God has plans for Olivia. He has plans to prosper her and not to harm her. Plans to give her hope and a future! She is His princess!

You know what the most amazing part of this is to me? I get to be a part of that life. I get to be the earthly mother to not just one of God’s children, but TWO of his precious babies! He chose me! I am the mother of a prince and princess and God has great big plans for them! I am blessed that He is allowing me to take part in those plans.

In this season as we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, I am certainly reminded of two other innocent children of God born on this earth. I pray above all else that my children live their lives to serve God and others. Thank you God for the gift of Jesus, and thank you God for the two precious children you are allowing me to take care until you return.

Merry Christmas
from a very blessed Mommy of two children of the King

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Casey-
I got CHILLS reading this. You are such a great mom! I know that Olivia loves you. Thank you for this- I think we may use it in our Christmas devotional tonight. Love you girl! -Erin L.

Morgan said...

Wow, that was beautiful, Casey! You put your thoughts and heart into words so beautifully. It is such a blessing and honor to be a mother, isn't it? I am praying for you and Mike and Jake and Olivia! I hope your Christmas was very merry.
Love, Morgan