Tuesday, December 05, 2006

STUCK IN VIETNAM

We packed up our bags, checked out of our not very nice hotel, and headed to the American Embassy to pick up Olivia's visa at 1:30. We were very happy people!!! At 1:35 we were NOT happy people anymore. Two of our group got their visas, and us along with another couple did not. Apparently there was a glitch in the computer system and our file was lost in cyber space. Obviously that doesn't sound like that big of a deal. Just resend it right? Well, once it's in the system you can't put it in again and you can't resend it. Great! So they were trying to contact the software company all day to figure out what to do but of course they are asleep in the US and unable to assist anyone. This completely sucks. It SUCKS. I was balling in the embassy office. The two families who got their visas left for the airport and headed for the US, while us along with the other family waited - and waited - and waited. Finally they declared that we would not get our visas today but to come back at 8:30 a.m. and he felt certain they would have it by then. I'm not a big believer in certainty anymore. We scrambled looking for a new hotel, trying to get to the airline office by 5 and lug around TONS of luggage all while Olivia napped on my shoulder. This has been such a fun day. Hmmm.

We got a room at the Hanoi Horison Hotel which is a five star hotel. No doubt the first one Mike and I and most certainly Olivia has ever stayed in. It's very nice and the food is yummy. It's nice to be somewhere clean where there aren't small living worms coming out of the faucet in the bathroom. (We didn't see the worms at the last hotel, but two of our other families did. Yuck.) This hotel is lovely. We thought we would be here one night and could swing it. Yeah right. Not with our luck. Even if we get Olivia's visa in the morning, there are no openings on the flight from Hanoi to Taipei, so we're stuck in Vietnam until THURSDAY. We are trying desperately to be optimistic and count our blessings. It of course could be much worse. We could be stuck here until next week or longer. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE pray for her visa to be here in the morning. We DESPERATELY want to come home. No, we NEED to come home. I can't put into words how much we miss Jake. This has been just a horrible horrible day and we're all at our wits end. One bright note for today was that Santa arrived at our hotel tonight and Olivia saw Santa for the very first time and got her very first Christmas present. JAKE - guess what it was!!! A FISHING POLE!!!!!!!!! I know you will be pleased that your baby sister has her own fishing pole! It's very cute. She's very tired though - as we all are- and whimpering behind me on Mike's hip as I type as quickly as possible. We're going to our room to call Jake and give him the very sad news that we're coming home two days late. I beg you to pray for us to get her visa and make all of our flights to be home by Friday afternoon. Please also pray for the other family with us here. If they get their visa tomorrow, they'll be able to fly home tomorrow night. We'll see you all soon.

Jake - we love you more than words can say and we'll come get you just as soon as we can. Hang in there Sugarbear! We love you!!!! Mommy and Daddy (and Olivia!)

5 comments:

erinlo said...

Casey- I am praying SO HARD!!!! I know how hard the delays can be- especially when they come from the American side of things!!!! I relate to your "need" to come home. I know that longing and anxiousness you are feeling. I know you miss Jake so much. Plese know that I am re-living it all over again with you. I'm so so sorry.

Rachel said...

I will be praying for you & the other family. Computers STINK sometimes! I really hope they can get the information back ASAP. I just know they will and you will be back home soon! Take care and know you will be in my thoughts & prayers.

Heather said...

And we were just marveling at how quickly you were going to be able to get in and out! Sorry about your delay. I hope you are near some great areas to see so that you can pass your time quickly. Who knows when you will get to return to Olivia's birth land. Keep your chin up!

Anonymous said...

Hey Casey,

I have known you all of your life and I have witnessed you become a woman of great faith. Trust and ask God for what you need! He will surely provide a way. Olivia is so beautiful, I can't wait to see her in person. God has you and your family in His BIG hand.

The visa will come...

I love ya kid...

Spring

Anonymous said...

Such sad news, but I know God has a reason for all of this and will provide a way home soon. Hang in there! Love you bunches and can't wait to see you all when you get home!!

Jenn