Saturday, December 30, 2006

Sometimes on the way to a dream you get lost and find a better one.

Many years ago my friend Kimmy Swimmy gave me a little plaque that had that saying on it. At the time, I was going through a difficult breakup with an old boyfriend and it really struck me as just the right thing to focus on. Obviously I'm deliriously happy that I got lost on the way to that particular dream. Mike Munn is the best dream I could have ever imagined! That song that says 'God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you' is exactly how we feel about each other. I would never have allowed myself to dream this big!

Anyway, back to the saying. I lost the little plaque sometime or another and as it turns out it was under the edge of the carpet in my bedroom in the house I lived in before we were married. I found it after Mike and I got married and moved furniture around. It held a really wonderful meaning for me then. I was so grateful that I found the better dream by marrying my amazing husband.

At some point the glass on the plaque broke so I cut out the saying and put a magnet on the back of it and stuck it on the refrigerator. I've noticed it occasionally and smiled at whatever was going on in my life at the time that it seemed to reflect. Today my friend Mary called and commented that I finally had just what I had always dreamed of. I told her that it wasn't exactly the dream I had, but that it was still great. After we got off the phone, I went over to the refrigerator and read the little magnet.

Sometimes on a way to a dream you get lost and find a better one.

I have dreamed of having a little girl for as long as I can remember. At some point in my dreams she had blond ringlets just like I had. Other times she looked like various boyfriends who I thought I might one day marry. Later she became Chinese, then Korean and finally Vietnamese. I had great dreams for this little girl of mine. She's been an assortment of ages in my dreams upon becoming my daughter. Newborn, 13 months old, 4 months old and finally 2 1/2 years old.

Having Olivia isn't everything I ever dreamed it would be. I got lost on the way to that dream and found a better one. Life with Mike, Jake and Olivia is better than any dream I've ever had.

4 comments:

Susan said...

This was one of the sweetest posts I've read lately. Congratulations on getting lost and finding your better dream!

Happy New Year!

www.beyond blessed.com said...

Ok where is my kleenex! Thanks for sharing Casey. And to add on remember the old Garth Brooks song
"I thank God for unanswered prayers."

Destination Motherhood said...

I love that saying, so true. Glad to have found your site.

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing this quote. Amazing how God works things out... I love the 'family of four' pictures.