Monday, April 23, 2007

Turkey Tales


I'm finally getting around to telling our turkey tales and posting pictures! I killed my very first turkey last Saturday - the first day of the season! It was unbelievable! Jake and Olivia spent the night at JuJu's and they did great! Jake of course loves staying at JuJu's but it was Olivia's first time and she did really well. I was super proud of her and so grateful to my wonderful mother-in-law for taking such good care of my babies. I am BEYOND LUCKY to have such an awesome MIL. She's fantastic in every way. I love her to death.

Back to my hunting story... Mike and I got up at 5:30 that morning and headed for the woods. I should mention that the weeks leading up to turkey season have been both exciting and emotional for all of us, but especially for Mike. He and Daddy Don always went hunting together during turkey season and it was the favorite season for both of them. I love their turkey hunting stories the best. So because of this Mike was missing his Dad even more than usual. We knew from the get go it was going to be a tough season. Anyway, we get up and head for Munn Hill which is about a mile from our house. We were driving Daddy Don's truck. This is completely coincidental. We've only had it a week or so while JuJu uses Papaw's black truck to haul gumballs from her yard. It was definitely emotional driving to Munn Hill that morning in Daddy Don's truck. That was the beginning of what would become a VERY emotional day. So we get on a bird really early and head in his direction. There is nothing in the world like hearing a turkey gobble. Nothing. It sends chills up your spine. If you're not a hunter this means nothing to you, but if you are, you know exactly what I'm talking about. It's an amazing feeling. So we get out into the woods off the highline and set up by a tree to wait for him to fly down. The goofy turkey flew down into the highline instead of to us, so after calling to him with the sweetest hen purr my husband could muster (he's incredibly good at calling turkeys - and all animals for that matter) the gobbler still wouldn't budge. At some point I realize that Mike's shotgun has a scope on it and mine doesn't. I always hunt with Mike's Benelli, but we borrowed one of Daddy Don's Benelli's so that we could both hunt with our favorite shotgun. I ask Mike about this and he reluctantly offers to trade with me. I said no, that it was fine - which is was of course. No big deal. After a moment it occurs to me what my husband had going on in his head. So I said to him, "you want me to kill the first bird of the season with Daddy Don's gun don't you?" He said yes. Holy cow. NO PRESSURE here people. I was already emotional and here I was with this new weight sitting on my shoulders to kill a turkey on opening day with DD's gun. Oh dear me.

We start slithering on our bellies towards the highline. We end up getting about 45 yards from the bird. I think this is too far. Mike is sitting next to me and we're not leaning up against a tree or anything. I'm up on my knees waiting for - heck I don't know what. The gobbler comes around a tree and all of a sudden he's just - THERE. He sees us. Mike says shoot. Shoot. Shoot. I froze. I was completely frozen. I thought he was too far. PRESSURE. He was already moving because he had seen us. His head was going back and forth. He started to run. Shoot!

I shot. I missed. The turkey flew away.

Mike stood up and he was irritated. That's actually putting it mildly. He was mad at me for not shooting the first time he said shoot. I had ruined it. I had this perfect turkey on this perfect day and I ruined it. I didn't kill the turkey. I ruined the idea Mike had in his head of this kill in memory of Daddy Don. In all actuality, I probably had this way too built up in my own head by this point. I am not an overly emotional person. I don't generally cry. I am proud of the fact that I'm not one of these girly girls who worries about their nails and how their hair looks. I'm just one of the guys. I was NOT myself that day. I started balling. Not crying - balling my eyes out. I couldn't fix this! I screwed up the entire "moment" and there was nothing I could do to fix it. Mike thought I had lost my mind. For those of you who know me in real life, this is completely out of character for me. I was SO upset. Mike told me it was ok and all of that nice stuff that he's required to say as my husband. I still felt terrible about the whole thing. I wanted to go home. Unfortunately this is not an option. You don't go hunting with a Munn and leave because things don't go just as you'd planned. JuJu would back me up on this point. No matter how irritated you may become with the Munn man in your life, you're still hunting and that takes priority over pretty much anything else. Mike wouldn't have taken me home even if I had REALLY wanted to (which I didn't.) So I blew my nose and we hiked on.

We try to get another bird a couple of hills away to come visit us, but he wasn't budging. We continued on and heard a bird in a cutover not far in front of us. We set out out a hen decoy and found a nice tree to sit against. Mike called and he gobbled. This went on for a few minutes but he wasn't moving closer. I suggested that we gobble at him. Mike gobbles and that's all that was needed. The next few minutes seemed like 15 seconds. It all happened SO quickly. I'm excited even typing about it. It was so amazing! So the turkey comes around the corner and Mike asks me if I was on him. I said I was. He said shoot. I shot. Down he went. Mike jumped up this time absolutely yelping. He was as excited as I have ever seen him! It was hysterical. We were like two little kids. It was one of the neatest moments of my life. The first thing I wanted to do was take it home to Jake. He was SO EXCITED to see my turkey. Jake is obsessed with turkey hunting (all hunting actually - I wonder why.) Olivia was excited too despite the look on her face in this picture.


So we hunted a bit longer after I killed my gobbler, but I was so anxious to get home to show Jake that Mike had to wait a couple of days to get a turkey for himself. He killed this one Monday morning. He then tagged out on a limb hanger he killed this past Saturday morning. I haven't downloaded those pictures yet though. He's rightfully proud of it with a 9 3/4" beard and 1" spurs. That's pretty good for an Arkansas bird.


I love that this is something we can do together. Mike and I love each other so much and it's really neat to be able to share his love of hunting with him. I'm glad that we can also share this with our children and pass on our love of hunting that we've inherited from both his side of the family and mine.

I sure hope I made Daddy Don proud.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I know nothing about turkey hunting, but that looks like a pretty good turkey to me. I'm still scratching my head because I didn't really know we had turkeys in arkansas. Why have I never seen one? Where do they live? I'm completely puzzled by this. I want to become a turkey hunter. can i get lessons next time i'm in the states? :)

Anonymous said...

ok, one more comment. I suddenly recall visiting a friend in LR once and seeing a video out by his tv that was called "So, you want to be a turkey hunter?" It was like an instructional guide. For some reason I found it funny (my friend didn't strike me as much of a hunter...but now I think I should locate a video like this. You know, "turkey hunting for dummies" or something! lol!

Anonymous said...

I stumbled onto your site while working on genealogy of my ANDERS / MUNN line in Arkansas. When my ANDREWS / ANDERS line came from Georgia mid 1850s, they went to St.Francis / Monroe County AR area near Brinkley. I know Michael Latham ANDREWS and wife Parthenia came with their grown children (might have been more family, but I haven't found them yet.) Of the 3 brothers, the one I've tracked best is William ANDERS who lived in Wheatley where he died, but his line is now in Little Rock AR. I lost Cornelius completely after 1880 and Charles L. went to AL then to Florida, but I lose his line too.

Now ..my gg grandmother Parthenia (Michael & Parthenia's daughter) came to AR married to George HOUSE who died about 1864, she then married Ed HOLLEMAN / HOLMAN who died 1873 (bible record), then she married Dillard L. COOPER 1876 and he died 1884 Monroe Co AR.

It was her 3 sisters that all married MUNS/ MUNNS men late 1850s/early 1860s from the same family, but born in KY or AL and they all lived in AR in Plain township or nearby /near Brinkley / Cotton Patch area. Julia Ann ANDREWS / ANDERS married William MUNNS, but they both died about 1862 (got Loose Probate Records from Woodruff Co & Estate Sale in St Francis Co) ...Henrietta Elizabeth's marriage was to James or Samuel Riley MUNNS, who might have died and she remarried a James MARTIN I think..can't track her.

It is Mary Catherine ANDERS b 1837 GA who married Andrew J.(?Jackson) MUNNS b 1829 KY that I've had the most luck tracking. Last found them 1880 in Brinkley. But I think..not sure..that I have tracked a son George W. to Memphis. Lots by that name, but I think it was their son.

Their children:
Frances P. b Dec 1859 AR
James P.(PULLEN?) MUNNS (Julia Ann's son b 1859 they raised?)
Charley b 1861/62
Floyd b 1864 (found him maybe)
Crowell b 1865
May /?Mary b 1865
Alice b 1868
Andrew b 1871
Lula b 1873
George W. b 1878-1882, might have died before 1930 Memphis, TN. His wife as I found census info was Minnie b 1884-1890 AR and children were: Bernice b 1905 AR, Harry b 1909 AR, Bessie May b 1911 AR and Eva b 1912 AR.

Please tell me if your MUNN FAMILY has any ties to these MUNN / MUNNS.
Many thanks!
Audrey in East TN