Friday, February 23, 2007


The last day


What would you do if it were the last day of your life? I've been thinking about that a lot over the last few weeks since Daddy Don died. He woke up like he did every other day. He went to work, but for some reason he went around and visited with people he hadn't seen in months. After work instead of washing the mud off his always clean truck, he spent his afternoon with JuJu visiting Rhonda, Lance and the girls and then coming to our house to visit with us. I wonder if he would have done anything differently if he had known it would be his last day. He did the things that were most important. He spent time with is wife, his kids and his grandkids. That's really all anyone could wish for on their last day of this temporary life, isn't it?


I started thinking about what I would want to do on the last day of my life which took me back to that day. I took these pictures of Jake on January 10, 2007, the last day of Daddy Don's life on this earth. I spent the morning with my children and had lunch with them and Mike. After naptime, the four of us went over to some property near our house where Mike duck hunts on a beaver pond. Mike had found some flint there a few days before, so we went to look for arrow heads. That's a favorite pasttime of our family and something handed down through the generations of the Munn family. We didn't find any but I found a piece of flint that had a rounded out place in it. It's still in the pocket of the camo jacket I was wearing that day. Jake was dressed head to toe in camo. He really is starting to look like a big boy. He and Olivia had such a good time scouring the ground for arrowheads. We walked about a half mile down from the road and on the way back Olivia rode on Mike's shoulders. Jake and I took our time as we always do, much to Mike's dismay. Jake and I tend to lollygag. We get very caught up in our surroundings and what we're looking at and forget the rest of the world exists. He and I are so much alike in that respect. It had been raining for days and the logging road we were walking back on was muddy and of course had huge mud puddles. Despite the cold weather, Jake wanted to walk through the puddles. I would say that's what little boys do, but I'm a girl and I still love to play in the mud myself. Jake meandered around and laughed mischeviously and then ran right through the first mud puddle we came to. It was hysterical. Mike was yelling from around the bend, but he couldn't see us, so we continued to take our own sweet time. I was laughing at Jake and taking pictures of him and he was lost in his own little boy world. Life was just as it should be. Easy and full of laughter. We managed to finally make our way up to the road, but not before stopping at every mud hole along the way. By the time we got to the car, Jake was wet and muddy from the waist down, but he was smiling from ear to ear and so was I! I stripped him down to nothing but a shirt and we headed home. As soon as we got home, I gave the kids a bath and they were just getting out and toweled off when Daddy Don and JuJu arrived to visit. Jake and Livi were running through the house naked just as cute as could be.


If that had been my last day on this earth, I couldn't have spent it in a better way. I hope when I get to heaven, I have mud on my boots and kisses on my cheeks.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

well said! :) That last line may be my new life motto. Love the pics of Jake. Miss you guys!

Rachel said...

Casey, I love this post. We should all live each day as if it were our last. Tim's father passed away 9 days after we received Ava's referral. It was unexpected and yet those few months leading up to his death he and my MIL took many trips to all their relatives homes, just to visit. As sad as it is to say goodbye to someone close, it's a beautiful thing knowing God is leading all of us.

And Jake looks SO handsome in these pictures. It's amazing how fast they grow, isn't it?

www.beyond blessed.com said...

Casey first I love the pictures of Jake. They speak volumes. Your post is beautifully written. We should all live each day like it was our last.

Rebecca said...

Very well said my dear!! You are quite the writer. Jake is adorable, but what else is new?
This post is such an encouragement. I guess I can forgive you for ganging up on me with my husband about Elijah being a goofgall because of me!!!
Love you,