Friday, June 08, 2007

Dieting sucks (can a pastor's wife say that word??)

The pastor at the church we were members of when Mike surrendered to preach wasn't fond of me saying that something "sucks." Apparently the word had a different connotation when he was growing up than it does for us gen-xers. To me it just means that something isn't good. I LOVED (still love) Bro. Danny, who coincidentally is the father to my very good friend Jennifer living in Beirut, Lebanon who often leaves comments on this blog. He of course loves me, too, but he wasn't crazy about some of the words I used. Along with sucks, I also had an affinity for using such words as flippin', freaking, and crap. I think there were others, but apparently I've quit using them to the point that now I don't even remember them! It's amazing how God can start working on those sorts of things. To be honest, I still don't think sucks is a bad word but I don't use it very often anymore. I try not to use words that I wouldn't allow my children to use and I can say with some certainty that I wouldn't be happy to hear "sucks" coming out of Jake's or Olivia's mouths. So, what about freaking or flippin'? Freaking doesn't sound very nice so I'm going to have to leave it back in the late 90's where it belongs. Flippin' should probably be left there as well along with sucks. Ok. CRAP. That's the word I have a problem with. I know lots of people who say the word crap but they don't allow their children to say it. I tend to say it somewhat often since I've banished the rest of my extensive repertoire of "sort of bad" words into 90's exile. I don't have anything left! I'm NOT going to be one of those women who say gee whiz. I'm really not a gee whiz kind of woman. Pastor's wife or not, I don't want to say ANY words that God doesn't like. I really can't picture God sitting up in heaven worrying about me saying the word crap though. Surely that word is ok? If it is though, why don't people let their children say it? Would I let my children say it?? Hmmm...

I can't believe that anyone still reads this blog since I only write once in a blue moon, but I know lots of you still do. I vow to do better about posting. What words are "bad" at your house and what words are borderline? What's a good word to replace my ever present - crap - with? I also say flibberdagibbit. That's a favorite and I'm quite sure God is ok with it. It's also really super cute when Jake and Livi say it :<)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No...I don't think you are meant to be a "gee whiz" kind of woman. Don't ever get rid of "flibberdagibbit"...that's a casey trademark! :) I'm sure Dad would be thrilled to know you removed "sucks" from your vocab. I have to monitor my semi bad words sometimes when I go home. :) Thanks for making me laugh today!! Love you!! Jen

Cindy said...

Thanks for this post! For me I used the word "cow" to get out of the habit. Kind of strange but so am I. And it worked. At our house "gosh", "darn", "shoot" are borderline. I think it's just a little too easy to "graduate" to the next level.

Congrats on the new pastorate for your husband and yourself. I can't imagine how pastors wives do it, being under a microscope and always feeling like you are "on duty". We'll keep you in our prayers.